The Healthiest Milk is Real (Raw) Milk
I am a huge proponent of raw milk. Not raw milk from any old farmer, but from a farm practicing healthy ways of raising and milking cows. And that is the difference between raw milk and real milk. And why not be in favor of real milk? It is healthier than pasteurized milk and tastes rich (like the difference between a grocery store carrot and a garden carrot).
Pasteurization (heating liquids to 161 °F for 15–20 seconds) destroys the bacteria that causes spoilage, meaning the milk has a longer shelf life, but kills the bacteria that helps the body digest it properly, while reducing the effectiveness of the anti-microbial and immune-enhancing components. Nutrient degradation by pasteurization (reference):
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin D
When pasteurized milk sits at room temperature, it goes bad and turns into poison. When real milk is sits at room temperature, it separates into curds and whey which can be used in food preparation.
Real milk contains components that assist in:
- “Killing pathogens in the milk (lactoperoxidase, lactoferrin, leukocytes, macrophages, neutrophils, antibodies, medium chain fatty acids, lysozyme, B12 binding protein, bifidus factor, beneficial bacteria);
- Preventing pathogen absorption across the intestinal wall (polysaccharides, oligosaccharides, mucins, fibronectin, glycomacropeptides, bifidus factor, beneficial bacteria);
- Strengthening the Immune System (lymphocytes, immunoglobulins, antibodies, hormones and growth factors) (Scientific American, December 1995;British J of Nutrition, 2000:84(Suppl. 1):S3-S10, S75-S80, S81-S89).” Reference.
Although, like any food, raw milk can also become contaminated and cause illness, the so-called outbreaks that are attributed to raw milk are largely due to reporting bias, erros and poor analysis. An analysis of 70 outbreaks had either no valid positive milk sample or no valid statistical association. (ResponsetoMarlerListofStudies.pdf).
In fact, pasteurized milk is the culprit for causing outbreaks of illness including a 1984-5 outbreak that affected almost 200,000 people. And in 2007, three people died in Massachusetts (Real Milk PowerPoint, slide 30).
In the last ten years, the number of people drinking real milk has increase dramatically as ignorance is replaced by intelligence. We understand the original reason of pasteurization in the beginning of the 1900s and we have righted those wrongs. We asked our farmers for local, organic, pastured cows so we can drink the healthy real milk complete with the digestive enzymes.
Why has pasteurized milk versus real milk become such a legal issue?
I’m not sure I can answer that question without offending some people or causing other people to wonder if I am an anarchist. But I can point out a few obvious reasons why real milk should be legal:
- Cigarrettes, proven without a doubt to contribute to lung cancer, are legal.
- Aspartame, found in gum, diet soda, and numerous other pre-packaged products, is a known neurotoxin and is legal.
- Hundreds of harmful substances are consumed daily, but it is considered a personal choice whether a person wants to take the risk or not.
I do not want my government to coddle me. As former Graham County Sherriff Richard Mack put it,
“My body belongs to me, not to government, and government should never assume the role of protecting me from my own stupidity. To have such an arrogant attitude among government is to have the destruction of freedom.” From here.
And it’s not just about real milk.
Do you have something you enjoy eating, drinking, doing, watching, reading, etc? Then step up and support real milk choice, because it could be your passion or hobby our government will be seeking to place limitations on next.
Find raw milk near you:
Support raw milk farmers and consumers:
In support of Michael Schmidt, I am participating in a raw milk fast tomorrow, Tuesday October 25. You can join too!