FOOD POLICE: Aunt Jemima Butter Rich Syrup
If you were to walk down the “maple” syrup aisle at my local grocery store, you would have a host of non-maple syrup treasures to pick from and a few genuine products thrown in the mix. Unfortunately the majority of grocery shoppers look first at the price and then at the advertising claims. (i.e. “0% fat!” and “No cholesterol!”)
My focus is on the trustworthy, smiling face of Aunt Jemima and her special Butter Rich Syrup. Although… (RED FLAG!) why doesn’t it contain butter and how do you get “butter rich” with no butter? Is it healthier to get a butter taste without actual butter?
Corn Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Cellulose Gum, Natural Butter Flavor with Other Natural Flavors, Natural and Artificial Maple Flavor, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Sodium Benzoate and Sorbic Acid (Preservatives), Caramel Color. Contains milk ingredients.
- Corn Syrup: made from the starch of maize and composed mainly of glucose. In fact, the term Glucose Syrup is used interchangeably with Corn Syrup.
- High Fructose Corn Syrup: “Almost half of tested samples of commercial high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) contained mercury, which was also found in nearly a third of 55 popular brand-name food and beverage products where HFCS is the first- or second-highest labeled ingredient, according to two new U.S. studies” (Agave Nectar: Worse Than We Thought). “Now used in preference to sugar, is associated with poor development of collagen in growing animals, especially in the context of copper deficiency. All fructose must be metabolized by the liver. Animals on high-fructose diets develop liver problems similar to those of alcoholics” (Soft Drinks: America’s Other Drinking Problem).
- Salt: most salt used in the industry is bleached-white, refined salt containing limited minerals that the body requires to function. (Natural sea salt benefits the body in so many ways!)
- Natural Butter Flavor with Other Natural Flavors: may contain MSG, a neurotoxin. (Killing brain cells.)
- Natural and Artificial Maple Flavor: may contain MSG.
- Sodium Benzoate and Sorbic Acid (Preservatives): Preservatives wreck havoc in the body.
- Caramel Color: None of the ingredients are overtly “milk” ingredients, so where is the milk? It could be the caramel color which is often derived from lactose, which is a milk ingredient. Intestinal problems may occur after ingestion of large amounts and California lists it as known to cause “cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm” (wikipedia).
What do we know about this product? It’s made up of mostly sugar (in other words: it will help you gain weight), it contains refined salt, may kill off some extra brain cells and could cause intestinal problems, cancer, birth defects. Just the good stuff.
So is it healthier to get that butter taste without the butter? What do you think?
the best option:
Real Maple Syrup. The NOW brand has maple syrup from –get this– Maple Trees! No additional ingredients. Where to buy it? You may also be able to talk to your local health food store about finding farmers in the area that sell maple syrup.
If you are used to syrups like Aunt Jemima or Hungry Jack, you will be astonished at the pure flavor of real maple syrup. Maple syrup costs more than fake syrups (which by now I hope you realize they are fake) because it takes 40 gallons of pure sap to make 1 gallon of maple syrup. That’s a lot of time hiking around taping trees, collecting sap, boiling the sap to reduce it to maple syrup, bottling and then shipping it to be sold.
But, as I’ve said and have heard said, you can either pay for your health now (in the form of tasty, real food) or pay for it later (in the form of hospital bills, prescription drugs, or with your life). Why not save your body and the hassle disease causes to fork out a little extra for real food?